There are actually several reasons why fax is still used in the modern world. One reason is that fax is still a very secure way to transmit documents. When you fax a document, it is encrypted and sent over a dedicated phone line, which makes it much more difficult to intercept than an email. This is especially important for businesses and organizations that need to send sensitive documents, such as medical records or legal contracts.
Another reason why fax is still used is that it is very reliable. Fax is not susceptible to the same technical problems as email, such as spam filters or internet outages. This means that you can be confident that the recipient will receive your documents, even if they are in a remote location or have a poor internet connection.
Finally, fax is still used because it is very easy to use. Anyone who can use a printer or a computer can fax, and there is no need to install any software or configure any settings. This makes fax a convenient option for businesses and organizations that need to send and receive documents with people who may not be tech-savvy.
Of course, fax machines are not without their drawbacks. They can be slow and require a dedicated phone line unless a secure cloud fax vendor is used. However, for businesses and organizations that need to send and receive sensitive documents securely and reliably, fax can still be an incredibly valuable tool.
Here are some of the industries that still use fax machines:
- Healthcare: Fax is still widely used in healthcare organizations to transmit patient records, prescriptions, and other sensitive information.
- Legal: Fax is also commonly used in law firms to send and receive legal documents, such as contracts, pleadings, and court orders.
- Financial services: Fax is used by banks, insurance companies, and other financial institutions to send and receive documents such as account statements, loan agreements, and investment confirmations.
- Government: Government agencies still use Fax
- to transmit documents such as tax forms, permits, and licenses. CJIS compliance requires government organizations to send sensitive information securely. Fax accomplishes that goal.
- Real estate: Fax is used by real estate agents and brokers to send and receive documents such as contracts, appraisals, and title reports.
Here are some of the ways that fax is being used in the modern world:
- Cloud faxing: Cloud faxing is a service that allows users to send and receive faxes through a web browser or mobile app. This eliminates the need for a physical fax machine, and it allows users to access their faxes from anywhere. WestFax is a market leader in secure cloud faxing.
- Electronic fax: Electronic fax is a service that allows users to send and receive faxes through email. This is a convenient option for businesses and organizations that already use email to communicate with their customers and partners.
- Fax to email: Fax to email services allow users to receive faxes as email attachments. This is a convenient option for businesses and organizations that do not want to have to print out their faxes.
- Fax over IP: Fax over IP (FoIP) is a technology that allows users to send and receive faxes over the internet. This is a more secure and reliable option than traditional faxing, and it allows users to send and receive faxes from anywhere in the world. Fax over IP does have drawbacks. The speed at which faxes are delivered is slower with a max baud rate of 14.4 compared to TDM (traditional dial mode) where baud rates of 33.6 can be achieved.
The future of faxing: It is likely that fax will continue to be used in some industries for the foreseeable future. However, as cloud faxing, electronic fax, and other digital faxing services become more popular, traditional fax machines will likely decline in favor of secure cloud fax.
Despite its decline, fax is still a valuable tool for businesses and organizations that need to send and receive sensitive documents securely and reliably. As long as there is a need for secure document transmission, fax will continue to have a place in the modern world.